December Student Of The Month
December – Student Of The Month
7 year old Cara Chang
Q1. At what age did you start learning the piano?
A1: I started learning the piano one and a half years ago, when I was 5.5.
Q2. Was piano your choice of instrument to learn?
A2: My parents suggested learning it and I was happy to give it a go. So it is 50/50.
Q3. Tell us a little about your first performing experience.
A3: I made my own jazz arrangement of Muzio Clementi’s ‘Arietta’ (which I called Jazzietta) and performed for a group of people. It felt good and exciting!”
Q4. How do you manage your academic work along with piano practice?
A4: I don’t have much school homework although I have reading work every day. I practice the piano daily in the afternoon and do Chinese homework on Sunday.
Q5. Who is/are your favourite composer(s)?
A5: I like Beethoven,Mozart and Tchaikovsky.
Q6. Do you have a favourite pianist?
A6: My daddy, Ms.Bina and Uncle Lawrence.
Q7. What have you learned in Aureus Academy?
A7: I learnt how to use the metronome. Also, I learnt about famous composers and their well known works (i.e Tchaikovsky’s Russian Dance from the Nutcracker Suite.)
Q8. What are the pros/cons of being a pianist?
1. We can use our two hands, two feet and brain at the same time.
2. We can play with other people (i.e violinists, pianists and etc)
3. You can eat/drink before you play unlike woodwind/brass players
1. It is expensive to buy a piano (it costs more than $100..)
2. You can’t carry it around everywhere
3. You can’t adjust the volume (like digital instruments)
Q9. Can you provide some helpful tips on how to practice tricky musical passages?
1. Ask your parents to help you
2. Try figuring out the notes first
3. Play with crossed hands
4. Play the whole passage backwards
Q10. Do you have a short/long term goal(s) for your musical journey?
- I would like to try more instruments like the harp, french horn and the trombone
- I want to be a superstar